Mental health has become one of the major points of discussion in our societies for a while now and it is because we have overlooked that aspect for so long and now people are beginning to realize that it is as important as any other area of a person’s life.
When we say mental health, we mean the emotional, psychological and social health of a given person. It affects how we think, feel and behave. It also determines how we relate with those around us, handle stressful situations and make minor/major decisions.
Mental health is extremely important at all stages of a person’s life, right from childhood to adolescence and adulthood. Every human being needs to be conscious of what they allow into their heads and heart.
There are various factors that contribute to mental health problems:
- Biological, like genes and brain chemistry
- Experiences, like traumas or abuse
- Family history of mental health problems
There are also symptoms which mental health specialists have stated in order for us to be able to identify if we or people around us are experiencing problems in this area, like:
- Eating too much or too little
- Sleeping too much or too little
- Have low or no energy
- Feeling numb and unmotivated
- Experiencing unexplained aches and pains
- Feeling helpless and hopeless
- Hearing voices and believing things that aren’t true
There are many ways to help people, like taking them to mental health specialists, talking to them and encouraging them and letting them know things would be better soon.
On our path, here are a few tips to bring mentally strong:
- Don’t be afraid of alone time; those periods where you’re left alone, don’t dread it.
- Don’t dwell on the past, a lot of things have happened which you’re not happy about, move on and create better times.
- Don’t expect immediate results; everything in life takes time, so don’t be anxious for things to play out.
- Don’t waste time feeling sorry for yourself.
- Don’t be afraid of failure.
- Don’t waste energy on trying to figure out situations which are out of your control.
And most important tip of all, have a fantastic December.